Classical Indian tabla studies with Wiley Sykes, 2008—2014
Classical Indian tabla studies (single lesson) with Jim Feist, 2012
Fiction & Literary writing studies with Orson Scott Card, 2011
West African percussion studies with Mamady Keita, 2011
West African percussion studies with Moussa Bolokada Conde, 2010
Bluegrass mandolin studies with Jeff Foxall, 2008-2009
Hammered dulcimer studies with Cindy Ribet, 2007
Latin Percussion studies with Beverly Botsford, 1995
Frame drum studies with Layne Redmond, 1995
Frame drum studies with Glen Velez, 1994
Music and Creative Arts Director, Awake Fellowship, Winston Salem, NC, 2008-2012
Built bands, trained musicians, led worship services, held monthly creative summits for local artists and musicians.
Itinerant teacher of percussion, creativity, and writing, 2008—present
Taught classes on various topics, including percussion, indigenous music, and creative writing, at workshops and conferences hosted by colleges, churches, and schools both nationally and internationally.
- Keynote Speaker at CREATE Christian Arts Conference - Sydney Australia
- Keynote Speaker at Wildfire Christian Arts Conference - Byron Bay Australia
- Keynote Speaker at The Worship Studio’s Arts Conference - Black Mountain NC
- Keynote Speaker at Heartbeat 2016 Creative Conference - Harrisburg, PA
- Keynote Speaker at Resound Creative Arts Conference - Boulder CO
Studio Musician, 2000-present
Contributed to recordings at various studios, including Skaggs Family Studios and Vibe56 (Nashville, TN), Attic Studios (Harrisburg, PA), GAT 3 and Bright City Studios (Charlotte, NC), and Threshing Floor Audio (Lincolnton, NC).
Leader and Booking Manager of Songs of Water, 2002-present
Booked and managed tours, handled finances and public relations.
Toured with Hindustani music group, Aradhna, 2012
Toured with Morningstar Christian worship band, 2004-2007
Toured with a professional Turkish, Greek, Bulgarian folk group, 1994-1998
• Composed and recorded six full-length albums, Funerals Of Sparrows (2000), Songs of Water (2004), Closer To The Burning (2006), Spontaneous Combustion (2010), The Sea Has Spoken (2010), Stars and Dust (2015) selling over 20,000 printed copies and 80,000 digital downloads.
• Recorded hammered dulcimer and percussion on Grammy Award-winning-artist Ricky Skaggs’ 2011 album, Mosaic.
• Contributed musically to the recordings of Gospel artists Jonathan David Helser, Suzy Wills Yaraei, Sean Feucht, Leonard Jones, Joe Vogles, Don Potter (Producer for The Judds) and Laura Cooke
• Appeared as guest on N.C. Public Radio’s The State of Things
• Aired on Thistle & Shamrock
• Featured in Our State Magazine
• Featured Music Video in The Huffington Post
• Accumulated collectively over 105,800 hits for Youtube videos
• Endorsed by K & K Pick-ups, Skinny Beats Drums of Asheville, NC, 1964 Ears, Mid-East Music Company, Master Works Hammer Dulcimers, and The Box Kit Wooden Drums of Moravian Falls, NC.
• Co-produced Songs of Water’s album The Sea Has Spoken as well as a solo album, Closer To The Burning
• Self-published an illustrated children’s book, Satchel Willoughby & The Realm Of Lost Things (2011)
• Self-published five works of poetry, Poems Of Water (2004), Wanderings (2007), and The Beckoning (2008) A Strange Innocence (2015), Poetry Is My Protest (2017)
• Awarded The Regional Artists Project Grant by The United Arts Council of Greater Greensboro NC, 2013
• Songs of Water awarded Top Indie Band by Independent Music Reviewer Magazine, 2012
• Songs of Water’s video Bread And Circus nominated for North Carolina Music Awards Best Video of The Year, 2011
• Songs of Water nominated for Best Country/Bluegrass/Americana band award for North Carolina Music Awards, 2011
• Satchel Willoughby & The Realm Of Lost Things Top 5 finalist for the National Association of Educators and Students Publications, 2012
• Met with former Irish President, Mary Robinson at the 2015 Paris COP 21 to discuss the role of art and music in cultural and environmental transformations. (Hosted by Here Now).